The Ministry of Justice and the Interior has the following objectives:
1. To formulate policies, general plans, programs, and projects of the
Administrative Sector of Justice and the Interior.
2. To formulate the Government policy regarding the internal public order, in
coordination with the National Minister of Defense within his scope; political
affairs; citizen coexistence and human rights; citizen participation in life;
social and political organization of the Nation; relationships between the Nation
and territorial institutions of the Republic; access to justice, to the legal
defense of the Nation and legal order; penitentiary; drug world problem; legal
security; notary and real property matters; emergency and disaster prevention and
care; and author rights.
3. To contribute to the development of the National Government’s peace
4. To promote the order and territorial autonomy, the decentralization policy,
the institutional strengthening, within its scope.
5. To consolidate, when managing political affairs, participative and pluralist democracy.
6. To promote and guarantee fundamental rights and freedom of citizens, public order, and citizen coexistence.
7. To support the design agreed with the respective state institutions regarding policies of the fundamental, social, economic, cultural, and collective rights, and the implementation of the Humanitarian International Right.
8. To promote policies that guarantee freedom of cult and the individual right to freely profess a religion or creed.
9. To support the design of policies and execute the ones within its scope regarding rights and matters of ethnic groups.
10. To contribute to the harmonic exercise of competences and attributions of national institutions according to what was established in article 6 Law 489 of 1998.